Wednesday, May 25, 2011

hw 58 interviews

For this homework I spoke to my mom and to my older brother who had very different stories. First up I sopke to my mom. Here was the interview

Hi mom, did you ever go to prom?

No. I never did because my parents didn't like the idea. also they didn't want to give me money. Back when I was in school it was so hard to do good. We didn't have computers and when they came out many people couldn't afford them. My father would always give me money and sometimes if he didn't I didn't complain but they never let me do anything. Prom was something I wish I could have experienced for the fact that it your last time having fun with your friends and celebrating 4 years of emotion and good times. Prom is the night where everyone looks back on their high school career and reflect on the way that everyone made it to prom and they are all having a good time.

Why do you force me to go to prom?

I want you and all of your brothers to go because I want you guys to get the experience that I never did. I wish I went to prom and I would always give you as much money necessary for having fun and I want you guys to enjoy yourself and I think you might regret it if you don't go.

Why do you think prom is so important?

It is the day where people can be flashy and act proper. I also feel like you discover a lot about yourself when you go. You see how you can dance or to connect with people on a deeper level. You are spending a few hours with these kids and dancing and getting comfortable with everyone and it is important that you feel that connection.

Do you think that prom is a night to be selfish and it is kind of okay?

Yes. The girls want to dress up and feel pretty while the guys dress up and try to look as sharp as possible. Along with that you have the kids who want the spotlight on themselves the whole night and then the girls who dress up with half of their back showing and they try to get attention. Also I feel that people think that things will happen or they hope things will happen that they look foward to. The things that people think are going to happen usually only happen in movies and sometimes the people at prom don't think realistically.

So you think prom is a time to be selfish. Do you think that prom can be the last time a teen can escape from realitiies and worries?

I think so. Most kids that go are 17 years old and they are trying to have the most fun before they turn 18 and prom is the night to do that. Its like when you live in the amish and then when you turn a certain age and you can leave into a different world where you are unfamiliar to everything. Most kids rarely stay out and part and drink and then eat something while being in a limo. Prom is the time where people can get a break from normal boring life and especially it is the time right before adulthood so I feel it is a wonderful transition.

BROTHER

so you went to prom how was it for you ?

ohh my gosh it was so much fun I wish I could do it again.

why do you think you enjoyed your prom?

because mostly every senior that I was friends with went so it was more emotional, and see everybody dressed up was very exciting

do you think the prom is sort of like a transition from teenage life into adulthood ?

yes I do I feel like the whole weekend of prom is the week in word you have the most fun in high school and you can do mostly whatever you want and you feel free. you feel like a free spirit and I think that is very important because when you become an adult life becomes more intense and you have limited possibilities and the whole prom ceremony and the after party is just the way to escape from every problem that you have.

do you think the people who don't go to prom are looked down upon and do you think that the reason is because people feel like they haven't transitioned into adulthood properly?

I feel like sometimes kids are looked down upon and sometimes its like when you tell someone you aren't going they yell at you and see you differently. I feel that prom is when everyone becomes fake towards eachother and emotions are put aside so that everyone has fun. I know that people in my school who didn't go to prom where not even paid attention to because prom was the time when everyone got together and bonded and its like if you didn't go then you have no relationship to any of the other kids.

Do you feel that prom is memorable because of the dancing and emotional connection or is there something else that people remember more?

I think prom is remembered because of the after prom. People get dressed up and dance for 3 hours but after that kids want to go get wasted and live life because its fun to drink and smoke and have sex nowadays after prom. I feel prom is more of an excuse rather than an enjoyable occasion. Kids use prom as an excuse to drink and not come home and cause trouble but the parents let them do it because they just want their kids to have fun. I remember when I went to my prom I came home 3 days later. I barely remembered anything from the actual prom but the after party was amazing and the best part was when we all went to the beach and crashed overnight there. Those are the moments you wish to live forever but you can't and I feel that me getting to experience that is a beautiful thing.

So I'm not going to prom. What do you think?

I think that's dumb but you do whatever you want. I think you would have fun but its your choice.

After these interviews I got a clear sense of what each of my responders were basically saying. Prom is a time to live with no regret and to try new things. We all change our state of being for about 6 hours and its okay because we are all just living according to the occassion. People do things at prom that have not importance but kids want that feeling of being free for a night and prom permits that to happen. I'm not going to prom and I feel that I won't regret it because prom is one even out of a series of events in my life. I don't think I will be missing much. Maybe one day I may say that I wish I went but for now I feel that I am making the right choice. Ill make sure that missing prom will be a choice in which I enjoy making and for now it seems that missing prom won't be such a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment