Monday, May 23, 2011

hw 57 prom initial thoughts

Well for this unit I have actually been pretty excited. I thought about this unit for a while and I really was interested in how we can possibly discuss prom and the social practices behind proms. To me prom always seemed dumb but as it approaches I feel like I will regret not going. To me prom is the time where we can all be selfish and say the things that we want or that we want to do but when we think about it prom cannot be a selfish thing because majority of people have dates so to be selfish would mean that both people would probably have no fun. Someone on class said that prom is the time where we emulate celebrities and I feel that is very true. We dress up and feel important, we act like we are important as well and we splurge our parents money on one night and we retunr home and hope we have some awesome stories to tell. Prom is a business and it doesn't care whether you have fun or not. . I thought about the steps to prom and how it was planned like a mission. How we all plan it out perfectly but in between every step there are many substeps that can lead to a bad prom or a better one. As for me I am not going to prom and I hope that doesn't upset my mom. She always wanted me to go and she sort of forced it on my older brother which enjoyed his prom a lot. She knows that I am different and I don't like to surround myself with people who party. I'm the person to stay home rather than go out and party because that's just how I am. Since my mom didn't go to her prom she wants me and my little bro to go and enjoy the night but I rather not because I hate making plans and then they get ruined so to save myself I rather not go. I feel that the way to enjoy prom is if you actually have a strong bond with the people at your school. It makes prom more emotional seeing all of your friends dressed up and looking fresh. There's more of a brotherhood bond with the guys and a sisterhood bond with the girls but I feel that in this school the brother and sister bond isn't too strong. Maybe with some people but since most of the kids in this school have known eachother for seven years it is hard for someone who came 4 years ago to all of a sudden be brotherly or sisterly with someone who's been here longer. There is social outcasting in this school in which it can make prom bad for anyone and I am willing to bet that at this upcoming prom there will be groups that separate themselves from the rest. It will be like a lunchroom setting in which there's the cool crowd and then the uncool crowd. There will be many akward moments and maybe some fun ones but overall I feel that prom is not for everyone and its not for me. Plus I don't think its the end of the world if I don't go. I rather go to internship. 3 questions I would like to explore is if there is any emotional connection between dates or is it just strictly business? What is the importance of prom for a college transition? Since when did prom become a celebration of getting intoxicated and not remembering half of the night. Is it just a new york city thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment